Welcome to ESL at CPS!
The mission of the English as a Second Language Program in the Clarksville School District is to provide support and instruction to English Learners in English Proficiency, cultural awareness, and academic development, which will empower them to be successful in the mainstream classroom, school, and community.
- Identify English Language Learners (ELL) upon enrollment
- Assess the language proficiency of ELL students within 14 days of enrollment
- Identify ELL students for appropriate English as a Second Language (ESL) placement
- Assist ELL students in the acquisition of English skills by providing ESL instruction and by providing appropriate training for content/classroom teachers who will support the development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing in the English language.
- Assist classroom teachers with modification strategies for the ELL students to successfully integrate these students in the mainstream classes
- Provide the classroom teacher with proven strategies and methodologies for teaching ELL students
- Promote parental involvement among the language minority population through appropriate communication
- It is the desire of the Clarksville School District that all students maintain their won culture while learning to live and participate in their new community (biculturalism).