Clarksville Public Schools

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Tonight’s school board meeting will be held as scheduled.

License Information

How to obtain a CDL with the proper endorsements to drive a school bus.

​We are always interested in obtaining more bus drivers. There is always the question. "What do I have to do to be able to drive a school bus?" I am going to try to explain it in a few short steps.

1. Go to the State Revenue Office at 1140 South Rogers St.  YOU MUST TAKE YOU BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU!!!  Tell them that you want to obtain a "Class B CDL with Passenger Endorsement and School Bus Endorsement."  You will have to pay a $50 application fee.  They will give you a CDL Manual and a Test Packet.  Ask them for a "Paid Receipt" and keep it with your packet for reimbursement.  Your Test Packet is only valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.

2. Come by the Transportation Office and pick Pre Test training materials to help study.  Once you have studied the CDL Manual and are ready to take the test,

3. Go to State Police Headquarters on Monday or Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. to take the written part of the examination. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU! Once you pass all portions of the written examination,

4. Go to the Revenue Office and they will issue a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP). YOU MUST TAKE YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU!

5. Contact the Bus Shop to schedule training for the Pre-Trip, Basic Skills, and Road (Driving) Test portion of the License Requirement. We will prepare you for this and schedule you an appointment with our Third-Party State CDL Examiner.  YOU MUST BRING YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU WHEN YOU TAKE THIS TEST!  Once you have passed the Pre-Trip, Basic Skills, and Road Test, the examiner will sign off and stamp your Application.

6. Go to the Revenue Office to have your Drivers License changed to a CDL. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU! Make sure when you get your new license that it IS a Class B CDL and it has the P and S Endorsements on it. Also, make sure it does not have a Restriction K on it.

7. Once you have completed the above requirements, we will schedule you a DOT Drug Test, DOT Physical, and run a drivers license report. Once we get approval on these items, you will be ready to get "On the Road"!!!!

If you have any questions, please call me at 479-214-0874.


Jason Teague